- 03/07/14 Peters Helped Write & Pass Law to Expand Access to Credit for Michigan Small Businesses
- 03/06/14 Washington - Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement after voting in favor of legislation to provide loan guarantees to Ukraine:
- 03/05/14 WASHINGTON – Today, U.S. Representatives Gary Peters (MI-14) and Mike Quigley (IL-05) called for a federal investigation to review the best practices for transporting and storing petroleum coke (petcoke) and to further study the potential health and environmental hazards associated with the oil tar sands by-product. Quigley and Peters sent a letter with nine of their colleagues to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- 02/27/14 Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters urged his colleagues to stand with consumers and support the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) by voting against H.R. 3193, legislation to weaken the CFPB and impede the Bureau's ability to provide critical consumer protections for American middle class families. Peters' letter was signed by 20 of his colleagues on the House Financial Services Committee in anticipation of today's vote on H.R. 3193.
- 02/26/14 Detroit – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters praised the start-up culture and waive of entrepreneurship and innovation in Southeast Michigan being reported on by the National Journal in their weeklong America 360 series featuring Detroit.
- 02/25/14 Detroit – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement after the Obama Administration announced that Michigan had been selected as one of the first three locations in the nation to launch a manufacturing innovation institute. The Lightweight and Modern Metals Manufacturing Innovation Institute is expected to bring over 10,000 jobs to the region and will open this Spring in Canton, Michigan.
- 02/24/14 U.S. Representative Gary Peters attended the 645th Regional Support Group Military Ball on Saturday and delivered the keynote address. The 645th Regional Support Group from Southfield, Michigan is a U.S. Army Reserve group that mobilized in support of Operation Enduring Freedom to Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan.
- 02/24/14 Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI14) released the following statement regarding the retirement of his colleague, Rep. John Dingell (D-MI12):
- 02/21/14 Washington - Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters released the following statement in response to the White House announcement that President Obama will not be including Chained CPI (Consumer Price Index) in his 2015 budget proposal:
Peters Introduces Measure to Construct a New International Trade Crossing (NITC) Customs Plaza in Southeast Michigan02/12/14Washington – U.S. Representative Gary Peters introduced a new measure yesterday, the Customs Plaza Construction Act of 2014 , to construct Federal Customs Plazas at critical trade crossings like the New International Trade Crossing (NITC) at the U.S. – Canada border. NITC is an international construction project to create a new bridge over the Detroit River between Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario. The project has bipartisan support and has been endorsed by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and the Detroit Regional Chamber.
- 02/11/14 Washington – Today, during a U.S. House Financial Services Committee hearing, U.S. Representative Gary Peters questioned new Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen on how Japan's currency manipulation has affected the U.S. economy and what impact Japan's actions are having on ongoing trade negotiations. Peters has expressed serious concerns with the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations that could open U.S. markets without requiring fair trade practices from Japan.
- 02/10/14 Detroit – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters highlighted the success of small business in Southeast Michigan by honoring Michigan manufacturer, Bridgewater Interiors, a joint venture of Johnson Controls. In honor of Black History Month, Peters visited Bridgewater Interiors, the 2013 Minority Manufacturer of the Year by the Minority Business Development Agency of the U.S. Department of Commerce Bridgewater Interiors.
- 02/05/14 Washington - Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters helped introduce The Government by the People Act, which works to improve transparency in our democratic process and prevent outside spending from dominating elections.
- 02/04/14 Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement in response to new efforts to bring petroleum coke piles back to the Detroit waterfront, despite the problems the pet coke has caused for small businesses and residents in the region:
- 01/31/14 Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement in recognition of Black History Month:
- 01/29/14 Washington - Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters (D-MI) released the following statement after he supported a comprehensive Farm Bill. The Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013 (H.R. 2642) passed the House by a vote of 251-166.
- 01/28/14 Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement on the President's State of the Union address:
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters Disappointed in Symbolic Political Vote to Limit Access to Women's Health Care01/28/14House Refuses to Bring Unemployment Insurance to the Floor
- 01/28/14 Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters (D-MI) released the following statement after the Farm Bill Conference Report was filed without the King Amendment included. In August of 2013, Rep. Peters and Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR) led a bipartisan letter to the leadership of the Agriculture Committee urging removal of the problematic King Amendment. The letter was signed by 166 House members and 23 Senators:
Rep. Peters Statement on Upcoming State of the Union Address and His Guest Brian Hermelin of Detroit Venture Partners01/27/14Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters, co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, released the following statement on the President's upcoming State of the Union address which will be delivered before a joint session of Congress on Tuesday, January 28, 2014:
Reps. Peters and Levin Meet with Unemployed Workers and Call for Extension of Unemployment Insurance01/24/14Roseville, MI – Today, U.S. Representatives Gary Peters and Sander Levin hosted a "Lunch and Listen" event with local workers affected by the recent expiration of unemployment insurance. Peters and Levin have been urging the Republican-led House of Representatives to do the right thing for Michigan workers and their families and extend unemployment insurance.
- 01/20/14 Detroit - U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement in honor of Martin Luther King Day:
Over 85 Members Sign on to Peters' Letter to Speaker Boehner: Congress Should Not Recess Until Unemployment Insurance Is Extended01/15/14Washington - Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters urged Congress to stay in session until unemployment insurance is extended. In a letter signed by over 85 Members so far, Peters wrote to U.S. House Speaker John Boehner calling for the House to cancel its district work period until Congress extends federal unemployment insurance:
- 01/13/14 Detroit - Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters, Co-Chair of the Congressional Auto Caucus, toured the exhibits of General Motors, Ford and Chrysler at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). Rep. Peters also met with executives from GM, Ford and Chrysler. During the press preview, Rep. Peters praised American auto manufacturers and suppliers on their success over the last five years:
- 01/10/14 Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement after voting in favor of H.R. 3811, the Health Exchange Security and Transparency Act. The bill passed the House by a vote of 291-122.
- 01/09/14 Washington – Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters (MI-14) released the following statement in response to the American Automotive Policy Council's (AAPC) proposal for strong and enforceable currency provisions in trade agreements like the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP).
U.S. House Unanimously Passes Peters' Common Sense Bipartisan Bill to Cut Red Tape for Michigan Auto Dealers & Consumers01/08/14Today, U.S. Representative and Congressional Auto Caucus Co-Chair Gary Peters applauded the U.S. House passage of a bipartisan bill he authored with Congressman Bob Latta (R-OH) that eliminates redundancies and red tape and invests in Michigan auto manufacturers, dealers and consumers. The Peters-Latta initiative, H.R. 724, eliminates a redundant and outdated provision of The Clean Air Act that requires auto dealers to provide consumers with a certificate confirming a vehicle's compliance with The Clean Air Act, even though all cars and trucks sold in the U.S. must comply with The Clean Air Act when they leave the factory. Peters' simple and straightforward bill eliminates unnecessary paperwork for small businesses and consumers. The bill passed the House today by a vote of 405 – 0.
- 01/07/14 Washington – Today, after the U.S. Senate took an important step forward to extend unemployment benefits, U.S. Representative Gary Peters (MI-14) released the following statement on the need for the House to take immediate action to extend unemployment insurance.
- 12/23/13 Washington D.C. - Representatives Gary Peters (MI-14), a former Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve, and Candice Miller (MI-10) lead a bipartisan effort to urge the U.S. Department of the Navy to officially commission its newest LCS 7 in the city of Detroit.
Peters Applauds Unanimous Passage for His Bill to Cut Red Tape for Michigan Auto Dealers & Consumers12/11/13U.S. Representative Gary Peters today applauded the U.S. House Energy & Commerce Committee's unanimous passage of a bipartisan bill he authored with Congressman Bob Latta (R-OH) that would eliminate redundancies and red tape and invest in Michigan auto manufacturers, dealers, and consumers.
- 12/05/13 Twenty-two Members of Congress Join Peters in Urging OMB To Exempt U.S. Patent Office from Unfair Sequester Cuts
- 11/26/13 Today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters released the following statement regarding the interim deal reached with Iran
- 11/22/13 In response to the ongoing P5+1 Talks in Geneva and the announcement by Majority Leader Harry Reid that the U.S. Senate may soon act on new bipartisan sanctions, U.S. Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters Previews New Small Business Initiative at MEDC & Arctaris' Detroit Investment Roundtable11/18/13At a one-day symposium hosted by Arctaris Capital Partners and the Michigan Economic Development Corporation to promote private public partnerships in Greater Detroit, U.S. Representative Gary Peters unveiled new efforts he will introduce in Washington to invest in small businesses and entrepreneurship.
- 11/12/13 In honor of Veterans Day today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters recognizes the service, sacrifice and leadership of the Michigan men and women who answered the call to defend our nation. His statement follows:
- 11/07/13 Peters & Bipartisan House Innovation & Entrepreneurship Caucus Lead Fight to Stop Wrong-headed Innovation Tax & Fix Patent Backlog
- 09/25/13 Frustrated by ongoing political games, U.S. Representative Gary Peters today urged colleagues to stop threatening to shut down the government. If partisan gridlock is not overcome and the government is shutdown, Peters announced today he will not accept p
- 09/12/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters this week was honored by the National Farmers Union for his work standing up for Michigan family farmers and agricultural producers and tackling food insecurity. Peters earned the National Farmers Union's Golden Triangl
- 09/11/13 On the twelfth anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks, U.S. Representative Gary Peters today released the following statement:
- 08/30/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today recognized the proud legacy of Michigan workers and reiterated the need for Michigan to lead our country in building a strong middle class.
- 08/06/13 Following the President's speech today outlining priorities to overhaul the mortgage finance industry, U.S. Representative Gary Peters expressed encouragement that Washington is finally ready to get serious about developing common-sense GSE reform. Pe
At Community Roundtable, Peters Calls for GAO to Identify Best Practices for Storing & Handling Pet Coke08/06/13At a roundtable discussion on the petroleum coke piles along the Detroit waterfront, U.S. Representative Gary Peters emphasized Michigan residents' concerns with the open air storage of pet coke. These concerns could soon grow to be a problem facing c
- 07/30/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today expressed alarm and outrage over new video evidence revealing petroleum coke clouds have blown off the uncontained piles along the Detroit waterfront. The Windsor Star first reported video footage from July 27th of a
- 07/30/13 To celebrate the 48th anniversary of Medicare being signed into law today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters vowed to keep fighting against attacks to privatize the program and end the guaranteed benefit for seniors. He is deeply committed to ensuring that
- 07/25/13 Now that the petroleum coke piles are expected to be gone by August and the Detroit River sites will no longer used to store the waste byproduct, U.S. Representative Gary Peters is encouraged that small businesses and residents nearby will soon have reli
- 07/17/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today questioned Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on how Japan's currency manipulation is affecting the U.S. economy and economic recovery at a U.S. House Financial Services Committee hearing.
- 07/12/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today released the following statement regarding reports detailing new waves of violence targeting Christians in upper Egypt this week. Peters is a member of the Congressional Religious Minorities in the Middle East Caucus.
- 07/10/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today announced that Michigan small business lending continued to grow through the program he first designed in 2009.
- 07/03/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today released the following statement to commemorate of the Fourth of July holiday.
- 06/26/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters met with Zoie Uznis, the 2013 Congressional Art Competition winner, who is visiting Washington, D.C. today.
- 06/26/13 Today marks an important moment for families across Michigan and our country as we take another step closer toward living up to the ideals our nation was founded on - equality, freedom, and justice.
- 06/20/13 After Congressman Gary Peters pressed Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) about efforts underway to ensure precautions are being taken to effectively store and handle the petroleum coke piles along the Detroit River, there is new evidence
- 06/18/13 WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Representative Gary Peters today expressed his frustration over the U.S. House Majority's renewed push for unconstitutional measures attacking women's health. Peters is especially troubled by Congress' priorities
- 06/13/13 A new report out showing how 284,937 Michigan students would be affected if student loan interest rates are left to double in less than a month is another important reminder about Congress' limited timeline to act. Today, U.S. Congressman Gary Peters
- 06/10/13 On the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy signing the Equal Pay Act into law, U.S. Representative Gary Peters reiterated his commitment to ending wage discrimination.
Michigan Department of Environmental Quality Responds to Rep. Peters' Concerns about Pet Coke Piles Stormwater Contamination06/05/13The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) responded to concerns raised by U.S. Representative Gary Peters regarding the storage of petroleum coke on the Detroit River. Following Peters' inquiries, MDEQ responded that steps have been take
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters & MP Brian Masse Call on Great Lakes Governors, Premiers to Address Petroleum Coke Piles05/31/13As regional Governors and Premiers representing the Great Lakes convene for the Council of the Great Lakes Governors Summit today, U.S. Representative Gary Peters and Brian Masse, Member of Parliament, urge them to address the issue of petroleum coke pile
Peters Meets with Local Residents, Businesses Owners to Raise New Concerns over Petroleum Coke Piles05/28/13U.S. Congressman Gary Peters today met with 30 local residents to raise new concerns over the piles of petroleum coke being stored along the Detroit River. Peters heard from small business owners who are worried about potential health risks from the pet c
- 05/24/13 Today, 72 Members of Congress urged United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon to call for the removal of Iran from its role as President of the U.N. Conference on Disarmament (CD). In a bipartisan letter authored by Reps. Gary Peters (D-MI), Peter Rosk
- 05/22/13 As petroleum coke piles continue to grow along the Detroit River, U.S. Representative Gary Peters today will go to the House Floor to urge Congress to investigate the health and environmental implications of coking byproducts.
- 05/21/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today reiterated his concern over the status of petroleum coke piles along the Detroit River. Peters along with Congressman John Conyers Jr. issued a new letter today, pressing the Michigan Department of Environmental Quali
- 05/20/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today announced Grosse Pointe South High School Junior Zoie Uznis as the winner of the annual Congressional Art Competition.
On Tax Day, Peters & Gardner Call on Congress to Root Out Billions in Duplicative Spending & Save Tax Dollars04/15/13As Americans across the country file their taxes today, U.S. Representatives Gary Peters and Cory Gardner launched a bipartisan effort to hold Washington accountable for wasteful spending and help save families their hard-earned tax dollars. Peters and Ga
- 04/12/13 Given Japan's history of unfair trade practices that have cost Michigan jobs, U.S. Representative Gary Peters today expressed concern over the Obama Administration's decision to drop objections with Japan's inclusion into the Trans-Pacific Par
- 04/12/13 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today welcomed news that the New International Trade Crossing is one step closer to bringing thousands of new jobs to Michigan. With the State Department's permit approval, construction can now get underway for the cros
- 04/09/13 Each year it takes until April for an average woman to earn as much as an average man earned in the previous year. In recognition of Equal Pay Day and the need to end wage discrimination, Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement.
Congressman Gary Peters marks the 3rd anniversary of the Affordable Care Act by highlighting how it's already helping Michiganders03/22/13Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters marked Saturday as the 3rd anniversary of the Affordable Care Act becoming law by highlighting the many ways it's helping families across Michigan. Peters also voiced his disappointment with Lansing Republicans for putting
- 03/21/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against the Republican Ryan Budget. In his statement, Peters argued that we must work together to put middle-class families and seniors first.
- 03/19/13 Today marks the 10th anniversary of the beginning of the Iraq War. The past ten years serve as a lesson of the inherent risk, cost, and sacrifice associated with any deployment of U.S. forces.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauds President Obama's call for new investments in clean energy research and development03/15/13Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, Co-Chair of the bipartisan House Automotive Caucus, applauded President Obama's call for a $2 billion investment in clean energy technology research and development, including American auto manufacturing. Last week, Peters
- 03/08/13 "After 36 consecutive months of private sector job growth, today's news that the unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level since the end of 2008 is a clear indicator that our economy is moving in the right direction. We still have a lot of work
- 03/07/13 For over three decades, middle class families in Michigan have woken up each day secure in the knowledge that they had a champion in Washington.
- 03/07/13 Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and U.S. Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) introduced the Advanced Vehicle Technology Act of 2013 in the U.S. Senate and U.S. House, respectively. The Michigan lawmakers' legislation would spur the de
- 03/06/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced a $76,116 grant to the Grosse Pointe Park Department of Public Safety as part of the Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program. This important investment will help ensure tha
U.S. Congressman Gary Peters statement on Governor Snyder's decision to install Emergency Manager in Detroit03/01/13"I'm deeply disappointed that Governor Snyder has opted to go around local elected officials to install an emergency manager in the City of Detroit. All of us agree that the city has serious financial challenges which must be addressed, however I fund
- 02/28/13 With the job-killing sequestration set to begin tomorrow, the Republican Majority shouldn't end the workweek at noon on Thursday.
- 02/28/13 Today U.S. Congressman Gary Peters voted to pass the fully inclusive, bipartisan version of the Violence Against Women Act. For more than two months, House Republican Leaders have blocked a vote on this important law to fund domestic abuse shelters and pr
- 02/27/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters released the following statement after attending a ceremony in the U.S. Capitol's Statuary Hall where President Obama unveiled the newest addition, a statue of Rosa Parks. Ms. Parks is the first African-American woman to be
- 02/27/13 Today U.S. Congressmen Gary Peters (D-MI) and John Campbell (R-CA) announced that they will co-chair the bipartisan House Automotive Caucus in the 113th Congress.
- 02/26/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, who voted against sequestration, urged bipartisan cooperation to avoid the job-killing cuts to important programs in Michigan. While sequestration would damage virtually all government programs, Peters singled out how these cu
- 02/12/13 "Tonight President Obama laid out a clear and balanced plan to continue growing our economy. By making needed investments in infrastructure, education and 21st century manufacturing, we'll create thousands of good paying middle-class jobs in Michigan
Following Senate Passage, U.S. Congressman Gary Peters again pushes House Republicans to Immediately Hold a Vote on the Violence Against Women Act02/12/13Following U.S. Senate passage of the bipartisan Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) reauthorization, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters once again called on House Republicans to stop putting partisanship before the safety of women by immediately bringing it to a vote in
- 02/01/13 Detroit, MI – This morning, U.S. Congressman Gary Peters released a web video to recognize today as the beginning of Black History Month.
- 01/30/13 Pontiac, MI - Today U.S. Congressman Gary Peters joined officials from GM to proudly announce that General Motors will add 400 new jobs at their Global Powertrain Engineering Headquarters in Pontiac. The facility currently employs about 3,500 workers.
- 01/25/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters urged Michigan's GOP-controlled State House and State Senate, as well as Governor Rick Snyder, to not play politics with the Electoral College. As was reported by Gongwer this afternoon, Republican House Speaker Jase Bolger
- 01/23/13 Today, Congressman Gary Peters helped introduce legislation to reinstate the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). In April 2012, the Senate passed a bipartisan extension of this important law by a vote of 68 to 31 (including 15 Republicans), however House R
- 01/23/13 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against the GOP's three-month debt ceiling increase because all it does is kick the can down the road rather than addressing the actual problem of America's debt. Following the vote, Peters issued the following st
- 01/21/13 "For the past four years, I was proud to work with President Obama to lift our nation out of the recession and set us on a path to economic prosperity. With today's inauguration, we start a new chapter and I am optimistic that we'll continue our w
- 01/18/13 "Through his life and his work, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. embodied the best that our society has to offer. As we pause to recognize the countless contributions he made to our nation, let us also recommit ourselves to advancing the dream that he worked so
Congressman Gary Peters' statement on $25 million TIGER grant for M1 rail project and $6.5 million in FTA funding for the Bus Rapid Transit System01/18/13Regional transit means new economic development opportunities in our communities, new jobs for our workers and a new hope for a stronger Greater Detroit region.
- 01/16/13 "We must come together to protect our children from gun violence and I think President Obama put a comprehensive package on the table. There is no single solution to ending gun violence, but we must do what we can to avert future tragedies...
- 01/09/13 Today U.S. Congressman Gary Peters announced that he was selected to join the Democratic Whip Team as a Senior Whip in the 113th Congress. As a member of Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer's leadership team, Peters will work hard every day to advance polici
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announces over $700,000 in Detroit/Harper Woods Grants to support firefighters01/07/13Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced over $700,000 in grants to Detroit and Harper Woods as part of the Department of Homeland Security's Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) program.
Congressman Gary Peters Officially Sworn in as the Representative of the New 14th Congressional District01/03/13Washington, D.C. - Today, Congressman Gary Peters was officially sworn in as the representative of Michigan's new 14th Congressional District in the 113th Congress. Crossing 8 Mile, this new Greater Detroit Congressional District is the first in ...
- 01/01/13 "Like most Americans, I have been exceptionally frustrated by the Republicans' insistence on drawing out this self-inflicted crisis until the last possible moment. However, I'm glad that we've reached an agreement to extend tax cuts for middle
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters speaks out against GOP Effort to Defund Food Assistance, Unemployment Insurance and Protection Services for Abused Children12/20/12Today, U.S. Congressman Gary Peters gave a speech on the floor of the House of Representatives arguing against the GOP's proposed "Plan B" fiscal cliff legislation.
- 12/11/12 "With a stroke of his pen, Governor Snyder erased not only a decades old bipartisan consensus in support of workers' rights, but his credibility as well. We learned that we can no longer take Governor Snyder at his word and he certainly is unwilling
- 12/11/12 In response to the Michigan State House passing the so-called "right to work" bill, Congressman Gary Peters called on Governor Rick Snyder to do the right thing and veto this divisive, anti-worker legislation. Snyder, who stated for years that this was no
- 12/10/12 Redford Township, MI - Today following President Obama's Greater Detroit speech, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement:
- 12/06/12 Detroit, MI - Today U.S. Congressman Gary Peters denounced Governor Rick Snyder for introducing and attempting to ram so-called "Right to Work" legislation through the lame duck session of the legislature.
- 12/05/12 U.S. Reps. Lee and Peters lead the effort to protect our nation's most vulnerable families
Peters joins with community leaders to break ground on new Troy Transit Center that he secured the funding for11/27/12Peters discusses the importance of continuing to push for a Greater Detroit regional transit system
- 11/15/12 One of the most impactful experiences of my tenure in Congress was my visit to S'derot where Israelis face constant rocket attacks. Today, these attacks have resulted in the tragic deaths of three innocent Israelis.
- 10/15/12 Detroit, MI - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement after meeting with Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Governor Rick Snyder, Mayor Dave Bing, and members of the Congressional and State Delegation.
Michigan Small Business Lending up more than $216 Million because of Law Peters Helped Write and Pass10/10/12Bloomfield Hills, MI - Today U.S. Representative Gary Peters announced that the U.S. Department of Treasury issued a report showing that Michigan banks receiving capital from the Small Business Lending Fund (SBLF) have increased their small business lendi
- 10/05/12 "After 31 consecutive months of private sector job growth, today's news that the unemployment rate has fallen to its lowest level since the start of 2009 is a clear indicator that President Obama's policies are strengthening our economy by spurrin
Congressman Gary Peters Marks 11th Anniversary of Afghanistan War by Again Calling for Our Troops to Come Home10/05/12Washington, D.C. – Sunday, October 7th marks the 11th anniversary of the start of the war in Afghanistan, and today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement marking this milestone by again calling for an end to the war.
- 09/25/12 Today, Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement applauding the President's speech at the United Nations.
- 09/21/12 Washington, DC– Today, Congressmen Gary Peters (D-MI), Pete Stark (D-CA) and John Lewis (D-GA) introduced the Computers for Our Communities Act. This legislation will extend a tax code provision that encourages companies to make donations of compute
- 09/15/12 "Hispanic Heritage Month is a time when all Americans pause to recognize the countless ways Hispanic Americans have contributed to our nation's cultural fabric. As one of the fastest growing ethnic groups in America, Hispanics are making a positive di
- 09/14/12 Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that he has successfully helped secure a $750,000 grant for NextEnergy to create an Innovation Center in Detroit. The Economic Development Administration funds are projected to create 250 new jobs a
- 09/14/12 "As Jewish families gather next week to celebrate Rosh Hashanah I wish them a sweet and happy new year. May the year 5773 be filled with health and joy for our families, prosperity and strength for our nation, and peace and security for the State of Isr
- 09/12/12 Farmington Hills, MI, - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters helped announce an Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Vehicle Technology grant of $2,750,000 to a consortium led by Robert Bosch LLC in Farmington Hills.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issues statement on the killing of U.S. Ambassador Stevens and three other Americans09/12/12"My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of Ambassador Stevens and the three other Americans that were killed in this senseless and despicable act of violence. As we work to advance the cause of peace, tolerance and equality, it's
- 09/11/12 "Today we commemorate and honor the memory of the nearly 3,000 innocent victims who died on that terrible Tuesday morning eleven years ago. From the ashes of that day, America arose as a stronger, more united nation. To honor the lives lost, let us recomm
- 08/01/12 Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against the House Republicans bill to protect tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires by extending all of the Bush tax cuts. As a strong supporter of middle-class tax cuts, Peters called on the GOP t
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounces FHFA's decision to deny assistance to thousands of underwater homeowners07/31/12Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) condemned a decision by Acting Director of the Federal Housing Finance Administration Edward DeMarco that precludes the agency from implementing a principal reduction program that their own analysis ha
- 07/19/12 Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that two Greater Detroit transportation systems have been awarded a $30 million grant to provide for fleet purchase, facility renovation, and to implement various security improvements.
- 07/18/12 Today's terrorist bombing of Israeli tourists in Bulgaria is an absolute tragedy. It's reprehensible that Israelis are the targets of bombings and terrorism not only in Israel, but also abroad.
- 07/12/12 Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement regarding Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's diplomatic trip to Israel: "I commend the Obama Administration for sending Secretary Clinton to Israel to meet with Knesse
- 07/11/12 Today U.S. Representative Gary Peters applauded a slate of six new initiatives by the Obama Administration to help small businesses expand and create jobs.
- 07/11/12 Today every single Republican voted for the "Repeal Obamacare Act," legislation that would overturn President Obama's landmark health care reform law.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters helps lead Democratic colleagues in fight against GOP's cuts to food assistance07/10/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters joined several Democratic members of Congress at a press conference to denounce the GOP's proposed cuts to SNAP food assistance by $16.5 billion in their version of the Farm Bill.
Michigan Small Business lending increases by over $190 million because of legislation Congressman Peters helped write and pass07/10/12Today U.S. Representative Gary Peters applauded a new Department of Treasury report which showed that a program he got signed into law is having a major impact in helping small businesses grow.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters Applauds President Obama for Signing Bill that Prevents Student Loan Interest Rates from Doubling07/06/12Today President Obama signed legislation that will prevent a student loan rate hike on 7.4 million American student borrowers, including 303,000 in Michigan
- 07/05/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauded the Obama Administration's decision to challenge China's antidumping and countervailing duties on more than $3 billion in exports of American build vehicles.
- 06/29/12 Today, after spending months leading the fight to stop student loan interest rates from doubling on July 1st, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that the House and Senate have passed an agreement to prevent this rate hike.
- 06/28/12 Today following the Supreme Court's ruling, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, who voted for the Affordable Care Act, issued the following statement
U.S. Rep. Peters, State Senator Gregory and State Senator Smith Work Together to Help Michiganders Launch New Small Businesses06/26/12At a press conference at the Southfield public library today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, MI State Sen. Vincent Gregory and MI State Sen. Virgil Smith discussed their collaborative efforts to help unemployed entrepreneurs launch a new small business through Se
- 06/21/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that the House passed a federal ban to outlaw dangerous drugs like K2/Spice and Bath Salts by voice vote.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauds announcement of New International Trade Crossing between Detroit and Windsor06/15/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauded news of the New International Trade Crossing (NITC) agreement between Michigan and Canada.
- 06/14/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters marked National Homeownership Month by discussing his bill, the Preserving American Homeownership Act, with local housing nonprofits and realtors at a press conference.
- 06/12/12 Washington, D.C. - U.S. Rep. Gary Peters continued his work to protect children from synthetic drugs such as K2/Spice and bath salts by sending a letter with 33 members of Congress urging House and Senate Leaders to act quickly on this issue. In December,
U.S. Reps. Peters, Campbell and Ellison introduce bipartisan plan to help underwater homeowners stay in their homes06/08/12Washington, D.C. - Today U.S. Reps. Gary Peters (D-MI), John Campbell (R-CA) and Keith Ellison (D-MN) introduced the Preserving American Homeownership Act of 2012. The crux of this legislation is the creation of a principal reduction program to allow eli
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounces MI State House GOP for advancing anti-women's health care legislation06/07/12Washington, D.C. - Today following news that the Michigan State House advanced three rightwing anti-women's health care bills through committee, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement:
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters Votes Against GOP Bill That Would Block Women's Access to Reproductive Services05/31/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against an extremist House Republican bill that would threaten women's ability to access reproductive services.
With 30 Days until Stafford College Loan Interest Rates Double, U.S. Rep. Peters Calls out Speaker Boehner05/31/12With just 30 days before the interest rate doubles on federal subsidized Stafford college loans, today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounced Republican Speaker John Boehner for telling Republicans at a closed door meeting that this issue is "bulls---" and "phon
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announces bill to create new local jobs by increasing government contracting to small businesses and minority owned businesses05/24/12Today to help mark National Small Business Week, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that he will introduce legislation to help our local small businesses grow and create more jobs.
- 05/16/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against an extremist House Republican bill that would weaken the Violence Against Women Act.
- 05/10/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters published a report on the damage that would be caused by the Republicans' Budget Reconciliation Act, which passed the House today.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters' Statement on House vote to reaffirm support of U.S. - Israel Security Cooperation05/10/12Following the House vote today to pass H.R.4133, the United States-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act of 2012, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 05/08/12 Following news that Senate Republicans voted to blocked debate on a bill to prevent federal subsidized Stafford student loan interest rates from doubling in 53 days, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 05/04/12 Today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement in recognizing the celebration of Cinco de Mayo on May 5, 2012
- 05/02/12 U.S. Rep. Gary Peters recently hosted a press conference to continue his call for Congress to stop student loan rate hikes in 60 days.
- 04/26/12 U.S. Rep. Gary Peters will host two town hall meetings next week to hear directly from residents on the issues that matter most to them.
- 04/26/12 To mark Israel's Independence Day, today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 04/19/12 Last night U.S. Rep. Gary Peters participated in a special order hour speech in support of legislation he's helping lead to prevent federal Stafford college loan interest rates from doubling in July.
- 04/19/12 U.S. Rep. Gary Peters will host a town hall meeting in West Bloomfield on Monday, April 23 from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at Orchard Lake Middle School to hear directly from residents on the issues that matter most to them.
Today U.S. Rep. Peters will debate his amendment to stop GOP from exempting 41 polar bear trophy hunters from the Endangered Species Act04/17/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters will debate his amendment to H.R. 4089, the House Republican's so-called "Sportsman's Heritage Act."
- 04/17/12 Today as millions of Americans go to the post office and file their taxes online, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters marked this Tax Day with a call for greater tax fairness.
- 03/30/12 U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement to recognize March 31st as César Chávez Day
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters Votes Against GOP Ryan Budget that would force families into poverty while protecting billionaires03/29/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters voted against the House Republican's Ryan Budget that would end the Medicare guarantee, and cut funding to education, Medicaid and food assistance.
- 03/23/12 Today is the two year anniversary of President Obama signing the historic Affordable Care Act and, to mark the occasion, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters touted the immediate positive impact it has had on families in his Congressional District.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters congratulates Troy Teens Dorothy Chen and Sara Ma for being named Global Winners of YouTube Space Lab Competition03/22/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters congratulated Troy teenagers Dorothy Chen and Sara Ma for being named global winners of the YouTube Space Lab competition.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters statement on Justice Department investigation into the death of Trayvon Martin03/22/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement regarding the Justice Department investigating the death of 17 year old Trayvon Martin.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounces GOP Ryan Budget that would hurt children by cutting SNAP Food Assistance03/20/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounced House Republicans for once again putting billionaires before children, seniors and disabled Americans on the brink of poverty.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters calls for President Obama to build vehicle technology focused Institute of Manufacturing Innovation in metro Detroit03/09/12President lays out plan for 15 sites as part of National Network for Manufacturing Innovation starting with initial pilot program Detroit, MI - Today, after President Obama announced a proposal to invest $1 billion in grant money to establish a nationa
- 03/08/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters denounced the Republican Majority for voting down his Outsourcing Accountability Amendment which would have provided consumers and investors with transparency into which companies are creating American jobs and which ones are o
- 03/07/12 Washington, D.C. - Today after the House Committee on Small Business approved a package of bills, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 03/07/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that his previously introduced Outsourcing Accountability Act is expected to be debated and voted on tomorrow as an amendment to H.R. 3606, a bipartisan bill designed to incentivize the creation of American jobs.
- 03/01/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters recognized March as Women's History Month.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters and Officials from New Consumer Financial Protection Bureau & Local Agencies to host Public Forum02/20/12On President's Day, Monday, February 20th from 6:30-8:00 pm in Tirrell Hall at Oakland Community College's Orchard Ridge Campus, U.S. Representative Gary Peters will host a public forum with officials from the newly formed Consumer Financial Prote
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters leads fight to hold China accountable for illegal and unfair auto trade practices02/14/12Fighting for Michigan's auto manufacturers, yesterday U.S. Rep. Gary Peters sent a letter to President Obama asking the Administration to hold China accountable for unfair and anticompetitive auto trade practices by initiating a WTO trade dispute.
- 02/14/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters responded to Mitt Romney's op-ed in the Detroit News about the auto rescue package.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters to Hold Senior's Public Forum on Tuesday, February 21st at Farmington Hills Costick Center02/10/12U.S. Rep. Gary Peters will host a senior's public forum at the Farmington Hills Costick Center on Tuesday, February 21 from 11:30a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters and Officials from New Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to host Public Forum Monday, 2/20 in the Evening at Oakland Community College Orchard Ridge Campus02/10/12On President's Day, Monday, February 20th from 6:30-8:00 pm in Tirrell Hall at Oakland Community College's Orchard Ridge Campus
- 02/09/12 Fighting for unemployed Michiganders, today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters sent a letter to the leaders of the House, Senate and Chairs of the Payroll Tax Cut Conference Committee urging them to maintain current levels of federal unemployment benefits in their neg
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters statement on Komen Foundation's decision to do the right thing and reverse on Planned Parenthood02/03/12Following news that the Susan G. Komen for a Cure Foundation has reversed course and will continue providing grants to Planned Parenthood for their lifesaving work, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, issued the following statement
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters statement on the unemployment rate dropping to 8.3%, lowest level in three years02/03/12This morning the Bureau of Labor and Statistics reported that the unemployment rate has dropped to 8.3%, the lowest level in three years.
- 02/02/12 Today every single House Republican voted against an amendment by U.S. Rep. Gary Peters to insert factual findings about the Bush Tax Cuts into a Republican budget bill (H.R. 3582).
Peters Amendment will force House Republicans to take up or down vote on recognizing fact that Bush Tax Cuts increased deficit02/02/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters will introduce and debate an amendment on the floor of the House to insert a findings section about the Bush Tax Cuts of 2001 and 2003 into a Republican budget bill (H.R. 3582).
- 02/01/12 In honor of February being Black History Month, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters released the following statement
- 02/01/12 This morning, as reported by the Washington Post, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters (MI) introduced the Outsourcing Accountability Act with lead cosponsors U.S. Rep. Tim Bishop (NY) and U.S. Rep. Jerry McNerney (CA).
- 01/27/12 After attending President Obama's speech at the University of Michigan today, U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters to help lead President Obama's effort to prevent college loan interest rates from doubling in July01/26/12Washington, D.C. – At the State of the Union on Tuesday, President Obama called on Congress to stop college loan interest rates from doubling in July and today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that he will help lead this fight in the House. In 2007,
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauds President Obama's blueprint to strengthen the middle class by investing in 21st century manufacturing jobs01/24/12With GM's Orion Assembly Plant Manager Alicia Boler-Davis and UAW Region 1 Director Chuck Hall at State of the Union, Peters highlights success of Orion Assembly plant which almost closed in his district Washington, D.C. - Tonight following the Sta
Newly released figures confirm that Pontiac will receive over $1.4 million in federal funding after U.S. Rep. Peters intervened to save funds Emergency Manager would have forfeited01/18/12Pontiac, MI – Late yesterday, new figures were released by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) which showed that Pontiac will receive $1.4 million in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding in FY12 - $691,946 more in FY12
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauds Troy City Council for reconsidering and voting to accept $6.2 million in Federal funds to build Transit Center01/17/12"Investing in a regional transit plan for the Greater Detroit area is critical in spurring economic development, creating jobs and building our way out of these tough economic times,"said U.S. Rep. Gary Peters. "The decision to accept these funds moves ou
- 01/16/12 "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. knew that the only way to achieve equality and economic justice is to bring communities together. To truly honor Dr. King, we must carry on his charge to ensure that everyone in the Greater Detroit area has the opportunity to
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters applauds President Obama moving to elevate Small Business Administrator to Cabinet Level Position01/13/12West Bloomfield, MI - Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters, who helped write the Small Business Jobs Act to increase small business lending by community banks and credit unions, applauded President Obama's decision to elevate the position of Small Business Adm
U.S. REP. PETERS APPLAUDS NEW CITIZENSHIP AND IMMIGRATION SERVICES PROPOSAL TO KEEP FAMILIES TOGETHER BY CUTTING RED TAPE01/11/12The Obama administration recently announced a proposal to cut government red tape in current immigration law to prevent many American families from being separated for months or even years while American citizens apply for green cards for their children o
U.S. REP. GARY PETERS STATEMENT ON OAKLAND COUNTY JUDGE UPHOLDING PLANNED PARENTHOOD'S RIGHT TO BUILD FACILITY IN AUBURN HILLS01/11/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement after an Oakland County judge upheld Planned Parenthood's right to build a facility in Auburn Hills.
- 01/11/12 Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters helped announce that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will open its first satellite office in Detroit creating over 100 jobs in the first year.
U.S. Rep. Gary Peters successfully works to correct mismanagement of multi-million dollar decision by Pontiac's Emergency Manager01/11/12Today U.S. Rep. Gary Peters announced that he successfully worked to prevent the City of Pontiac from missing out on millions of dollars in Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funding for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program which was at r
- 01/06/12 Today Rep. Gary Peters attended a meeting with the M1 Rail Coalition, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Governor Snyder, Mayor Bing, Senators Levin and Stabenow, members of the Congressional delegation and local leaders to discuss the future of M1 ligh
Unemployment rate drops to 8.5% - Rep. Peters highlights impact of middle class payroll tax cut and calls for clean extension01/06/12Today's news that the unemployment rate dropped to 8.5% with the creation of 212,000 new private sector jobs, Rep. Gary Peters highlighted the impact of the middle class payroll tax cut and called on House Republicans to immediately pass a clean exten
Rep. Gary Peters applauds Consumer Financial Protection Bureau beginning regulation of payday lenders, debt collectors and mortgage companies01/05/12Today Rep. Gary Peters applauded news that the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's new Director Richard Cordray has taken immediate action to begin regulating "non-bank" financial institutions such as payday lenders, debt collectors and mortgage co
Rep. Gary Peters supports President Obama's three recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board01/04/12This afternoon following President Obama's recess appointment of Richard Cordray to head the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, news broke that the President is also set to appoint Sharon Block, Terence Flynn and Richard Griffin to the National Lab
Rep. Gary Peters applauds President Obama's decision to stand up to Tea Party Republicans by making a recess appointment for Director of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau01/04/12Washington, D.C. - Today Rep. Gary Peters applauded news that President Obama will make a recess appointment of Richard Cordray to head the newly formed Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). The CFPB was created as part of the Wall Street Reform an
- 12/22/11 "Ninety-three thousand jobless workers in Michigan and middle class families around the country will celebrate the Holidays knowing their voices were heard. This is a defeat for Speaker Boehner and Tea Party extremists and a victory for those who want to
Rep. Gary Peters writes Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Governor Rick Snyder to keep Troy transit federal funding in Greater Detroit area12/20/11One day after Troy Mayor Janice Daniels and her Tea Party allies on City Council rejected $8.4 million in federal funding for the Troy transit center, Rep. Gary Peters wrote letters to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Governor Rick Snyder urging th
- 12/16/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters responded to Rep. Allen West's inflammatory remarks comparing the agenda of Democrats in Congress to infamous Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.
Rep. Peters Calls on Lowe's to Reconsider Decision to Pull Ads from Show Featuring Metro Detroit Muslim-American Families12/15/11Today Rep. Gary Peters signed a letter to the Chairman and CEO of Lowe's, calling on him to reconsider a decision to cancel advertising from a show on The Learning Channel that features Metro Detroit Muslim-American families.
- 12/15/11 After voting for legislation to crack down on Iran's nuclear program, Rep. Gary Peters released the following statement
- 12/14/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement after President Obama's announcement that the war in Iraq has ended.
- 12/14/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters voted against a Republican bill to put the wealthiest 1% above middle class families.
- 12/06/11 Fighting to create auto jobs, Rep. Gary Peters sent a letter to President Obama yesterday asking him to stop Japan from joining the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) until Japan ends its discriminatory practice of operating the most closed auto market among
- 11/30/11 With just two weeks to go until the targeted adjournment of Congress, Rep. Gary Peters today called on House Republicans to extend and expand the payroll tax cut to put more money back into the pockets of middle class families across America.
- 11/28/11 Following today's news that Rep. Barney Frank will retire at the end of 2012, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 11/21/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters hosted a constituent services roundtable to discuss the work he's done to help families throughout his Congressional district.
- 11/16/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters announced a loan of over $10 million from Section 202 development funds to provide affordable housing for low income seniors in Pontiac.
- 11/15/11 With unemployment still at 11.1% in Michigan, Rep. Gary Peters has again taken action to help create jobs and get Michigan back to work.
- 11/10/11 Pontiac, MI. - Today Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement to mark Veterans Day. "On this Veterans Day, we honor the service and sacrifice of brave men and women from all walks of life that have put on a uniform and protected our nation. Addi
Rep. Gary Peters reacts to Governor Snyder's decision to exempt first vehicle from asset testing for food assistance11/03/11Last night, news broke that Governor Rick Snyder will revise his asset test rules to exempt the first vehicle Michigan families own when they are applying for food assistance.
Law Rep. Peters helped write and pass results in record small business loans and new jobs in Michigan11/01/11During the first year of lending under the Small Business Jobs Act, which Rep. Gary Peters helped write and pass, Michigan's banks and credit unions led the nation in small business lending by making 2,063 Small Business Administration (SBA) loans tot
- 10/26/11 Washington, D.C. - In response to news that former Congressman Howard Wolpe has passed away, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement. "Congressman Howard Wolpe was a champion for Michigan and one of the strongest Democrats I've ever known.
- 10/26/11 Washington, D.C. - Today following Governor Rick Snyder's proposal to create a regional high speed bus network connecting Detroit with the suburbs, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement: "In these tough economic times, families in the gre
Rep. Gary Peters applauds President Obama's plan to help Americans struggling with student loan debt10/26/11With House Republicans refusing to help, Obama's executive orders will help borrowers consolidate loans and reduce interest rates Washington, D.C. - Today President Obama announced that he will be issuing a series of executive orders to help Americ
- 10/19/11 This morning Rep. Gary Peters welcomed news that seniors living on Social Security will receive a long overdue 3.6% cost of living adjustment (COLA) for the first time in two years.
- 10/18/11 Today after it was announced that Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit had been released by his captors, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 10/18/11 This week Rep. Gary Peters introduced the Eliminate Auto Test Act (the EAT Act) which will help the families that have been hit the hardest by the recession receive food assistance without punishing them for owning a vehicle.
Rep. Peters Denounces GOP Bill Which Would Endanger Women's Lives and Prevent Private Reproductive Choices10/13/11Today Rep. Gary Peters denounced the House Republicans after they passed H.R. 358.
- 10/11/11 With three free trade agreements expected to come before the House soon and the Senate working on a bill to hold China accountable for manipulating its currency, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
As Afghanistan War reaches its 10th Anniversary on Friday, Rep. Gary Peters Again Calls for Our Troops to Come Home10/06/11Friday October 7th will mark the 10th anniversary of the start of the war in Afghanistan, and this morning Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement marking this milestone by again calling for an end to the war.
With House Vote Today, Rep. Peters Successfully Saves Program that Created or Protected over 41,000 Auto Manufacturing Jobs10/04/11Today the House finally passed a bill to fund emergency disaster relief without cutting $1.5 billion in proven job creating loans.
Rep. Gary Peters Issues Statement about Governor Snyder's Attack on Economically Disadvantaged Michiganders10/04/11Today Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement on Governor Snyder's policy of punishing underprivileged families for needing assistance during this recession
- 10/03/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters encouraged military servicemembers and veterans that served under stop loss conditions to apply for the benefits they've earned.
- 10/03/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters reflected on the contributions of Hispanic Americans during National Hispanic American Heritage Month. To mark this occasion, Peters released the following statement
Rep. Gary Peters Issues Statement following Senate Vote to Protect Auto Jobs and Provide Emergency Assistance09/27/11Last night after the Senate passed a deal to provide emergency relief funding without killing auto jobs by a vote of 79-12, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 09/23/11 Following the late night passage of the Republicans job killing plan to fund emergency disaster assistance by slashing a program that's created more than 41,000 jobs, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement.
Rep. Gary Peters Calls on Speaker Boehner to Bring the House Back into Session on Monday to Protect Auto Jobs09/23/11Rep. Gary Peters called on Speaker John Boehner to bring the House back into session on Monday. This morning, the Senate rejected Speaker Boehner's auto job killing plan by a bipartisan vote of 59-36.
After House Rejects Boehner Bill, Rep. Peters Again Calls on Republicans to Drop Plan to Kill Auto Jobs09/22/11Last night House Republicans unsuccessfully attempted to cut $1.5 billion in loans to help create and protect auto jobs in areas like Detroit by a vote of 190-235.
- 09/22/11 This evening, Congressman Gary Peters made the following statement after the Republican Leadership's FY12 Continuing Resolution failed because it was an attack on auto jobs by a vote of 195-230
- 09/21/11 This morning, Congressman Gary Peters and Congresswoman Anna G. Eshoo announced that 108 Democrats have now signed onto the Peters-Eshoo letter demanding that Speaker John Boehner not slash $1.5 billion in proven job creating loans to the auto industry.
- 09/20/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement denouncing Lansing Republicans attack on teachers unions
Reps. Gary Peters and Anna Eshoo send letter to Speaker Boehner calling on Republicans to not kill auto jobs09/20/11Late last night, Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) and Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-CA) sent a letter to Speaker John Boehner calling on the Republicans to abandon their plan to cut $1.5 billion from the Advanced Technology Vehicle Manufacturing (ATVM) Loan Program.
- 09/19/11 Today, in response to the announcement on Friday by the Palestinian Authority that it will unilaterally seek statehood from the United Nations Security Council rather than through the peace process with Israel, Rep Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 09/15/11 Late last night, House Republicans released a job killing plan to gut Section 136 loans which are designed to help create manufacturing jobs
- 09/09/11 Today Rep. Gary Peters issued this statement regarding the 10th Anniversary of September 11th.
- 09/08/11 Tonight Rep. Gary Peters issued the following response to President Obama's address to the joint session of Congress
Congressman Gary Peters Helps Rochester Hills Student Complete Goal of Meeting All of Her Elected Officials with President Obama09/05/11Today before President Obama's Labor Day speech, Rep. Gary Peters helped thirteen year old Rochester Hills, MI resident Lilly Arbour complete her goal of meeting all 115 of her elected representatives when she was introduced to the President.
- 08/19/11 This week, classic and custom cars from across the country will roll down Woodward Avenue, showcasing some of the most innovative and impressive examples of automotive engineering – and many of those cars will be outfitted with custom components manufactured by independent companies here in Southeast Michigan.
- 08/19/11 Representative Gary Peters issued a strong condemnation of the recent terrorist attacks in Southern Israel which killed six Israeli civilians and two Israeli soldiers.
- 08/18/11 Representative Gary Peters today repeated his call for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to leave power.
- 08/10/11 Congress may be out of session this August, but Rep. Gary Peters isn't taking it easy. On Wednesday morning, Peters will team up with students from Oakland County and Detroit as part of the Summer in the City volunteering program.
- 08/08/11 Since taking office, Rep. Gary Peters has made boosting our local economy his top priority, and on Monday afternoon, Peters joined local and state officials to announce the grand opening of a new transportation hub in Pontiac.
- 08/01/11 Representative Gary Peters today voted against a debt proposal in Congress that would make deep cuts to programs affecting middle class families without making the fundamental budget reforms needed to reduce our national debt.
- 07/29/11 Representative Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler headquarters, several General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any Congressional district in the country, today joined President Obama, leaders from the Big 3 and the UAW to announce new fuel efficiency standards.
- 07/22/11 Rep. Gary Peters, who served as a Lt. Commander in the US Navy Reserve, today praised the decision by President Obama and military leaders to end the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy.
- 07/21/11 Representative Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler headquarters, several General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any Congressional district in the country, today applauded the announcement that the Treasury department has completed the sale of its remaining stake in Chrysler.
- 07/18/11 Speaking to a standing room only crowd of more than 100 senior citizens in Clawson on Monday, Representative Gary Peters spelled out his priorities for strengthening Social Security and Medicare.
- 07/14/11 A bill that would help spur the development of advanced vehicle jobs in Michigan moved one step closer to becoming law today.
- 07/08/11 Since the start of the economic downturn, small businesses here in Michigan have had trouble getting loans, but thanks to a new initiative pushed by Representative Gary Peters, a community bank in Farmington Hills will be getting more than $11 million in funding to help jumpstart new lending.
- 07/01/11 Representative Gary Peters released the following statement today in recognition of the 45th anniversary of the implementation of Medicare. President Johnson signed Medicare into law on July 30, 1965, and the Medicare program began to be implemented on July 1, 1966.
- 06/23/11 Representative Gary Peters today called on House Republican leaders to return to the negotiating table and continue talks aimed at reducing the nation's budget deficit. On Thursday, Republican Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia walked out of bipartisan budget talks
- 06/23/11 With the federal debt growing every day, and with partisan gridlock holding up debate in Washington, Representative Gary Peters is inviting local residents to share their ideas and suggestions for cutting the deficit and restoring fiscal discipline
- 06/09/11 For more than a generation, millions of American families have been able to purchase their own homes thanks to the availability of the thirty-year, fixed rate mortgage.
- 05/25/11 Representative Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, several General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any Congressional district in the country, has extended a new invitation to Senator John McCain to come to Michigan and see the automotive industry's recovery for himself
- 05/24/11 His Excellency Binyamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of the State of Israel, addressed a joint meeting of Congress today attended by Representative Gary Peters.
- 05/24/11 Representative Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, several General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any Congressional district in the country, issued the following statement today regarding Chrysler's repayment of its government loans
- 05/19/11 A new Congressional report released today shows that efforts to help small businesses in Oakland County were successful.
- 05/18/11 Congressman Gary Peters released the following statement shortly after the White House announced it would impose sanctions on Syria.
- 05/12/11 Representative Gary Peters and Representative John Campbell (R-CA) have introduced a bipartisan plan to reform the mortgage market - putting an end to taxpayer-funded bailouts while preserving access to affordable mortgages for middle class families.
- 05/10/11 Rep. Gary Peters released the following statement celebrating Israel's 63rd Day of Independence
With Gas Prices Rising, Stabenow and Peters Announce Legislation to Support Fuel Efficient Vehicle Research in Michigan05/09/11With local gas prices hitting record highs, Representative Gary Peters and Senator Debbie Stabenow today announced legislation to help Michigan's automakers and suppliers develop the next generation of high-tech, fuel-efficient vehicles.
- 05/04/11 Americans who just filed their taxes are familiar with the tax deduction for the interest on home mortgages – but a loophole in the tax code allows that same deduction to apply to interest payments on yachts.
- 05/02/11 Representative Gary Peters released the following statement in response to the news that US forces have killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden
- 04/26/11 For the first time, the winner of Representative Gary Peters' annual student art competition will be chosen using online voting – and Peters is turning to social media and email to spread the word.
- 04/21/11 On the eve of Earth Day, Representative Gary Peters applauded conservation efforts in Oakland County and called for action to prevent Washington from undermining local environmental protection and conservation programs.
- 04/15/11 Despite years of talk about ensuring that Americans have 72 hours to read and review legislation, Republican leadership in the House of Representatives has failed to live up to its own campaign promises – and on Friday, Representative Gary Peters (D-MI) introduced legislation to finally enforce a real 72-hour rule in the House.
- 04/13/11 Representative Gary Peters, the Chairman of the House Spending Cuts and Deficit Reduction Working Group, today applauded the President's commitment to deficit reduction and called for bipartisan action to restore fiscal responsibility.
- 04/12/11 Washington, D.C. – Representative Gary Peters will join more than a hundred lawmakers in the House to reintroduce the Paycheck Fairness Act – legislation that will extend new protections against wage discrimination and help ensure that women receive equal pay for equal work.
- 04/08/11 Representative Gary Peters today called on leaders of both parties to put an end to partisan gamesmanship and work together to pass a responsible budget that reduces spending and avoids a government shutdown.
- 04/05/11 On Tuesday afternoon, the Senate followed the lead set by the House last month and voted to repeal a controversial small business tax provision that had been included in the health care reform bill.
- 04/01/11 Representative Gary Peters said today he will not give up the fight to block lawmakers from receiving paychecks in the event of a government shutdown.
- 03/31/11 Over the past two years, Rep. Gary Peters has become known as a leader on animal protection issues, and on Wednesday, the Humane Society honored Peters with an award recognizing his work.
- 03/23/11 In response to today's bombing of Israeli civilians in Jerusalem, which left at least one dead and dozens more injured, Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) released the following statement
- 03/21/11 Small businesses in Oakland County will have an even stronger voice in Congress this year, thanks to Representative Gary Peters' new seat on the House Small Business Committee
- 03/17/11 With another federal budget deadline rapidly approaching, Representative Gary Peters is leading a bipartisan effort to force Congress to take action on proposed spending cuts
- 03/04/11 American taxpayers are spending billions every year on programs that the government has already identified as wasteful or duplicative – and now Rep. Gary Peters (D-MI) is launching a bipartisan effort to force Congress to take action.
- 03/03/11 Representative Gary Peters has spent the past two years fighting to help small businesses get the funds they need to grow, and now his work has been recognized by one of Michigan's largest organizations supporting small business lending.
- 03/02/11 Representative Gary Peters has built a reputation for transparency and fiscal responsibility, and now he wants other lawmakers to follow suit.
- 03/01/11 If the federal government shuts down, Representative Gary Peters wants to make sure that lawmakers aren't immune from the effects.
Rep. Gary Peters Rated Most Moderate Member of Michigan Delegation from Either Party for Second Straight Year02/25/11For the second straight year, Representative Gary Peters is the most moderate member of the Michigan delegation from either party, according to an annual study of congressional voting records released today.
- 02/17/11 In response to the pending anti-Israel resolution in the United Nations Security Council, Rep. Gary Peters issued the following statement
- 02/10/11 As Congress prepares to consider final funding levels for this year's budget, and with rising uncertainty about the future stability of Egypt, a bipartisan pair of lawmakers are fighting to ensure that America's support for the State of Israel remains strong.
- 01/19/11 Rep. Gary Peters today voted to protect small businesses from a significant tax increase under the proposed Republican health care repeal bill. Peters voted against the repeal legislation.
- 01/08/11 Statement of Rep. Gary Peters (MI-09) concerning the attack on Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona earlier today
CONGRESS NEEDS TO WORK TOGETHER TO CREATE JOBS--NOT TAKE HEALTH COVERAGE AWAY FROM WORKING MICHIGAN/AMERICANS01/06/11Representative Gary Peters (MI-9) today criticized House Republican efforts to repeal landmark health care reforms instead of focusing on addressing the nation's job crisis.
- 01/05/11 Representative Gary Peters (MI-9) today called for the incoming Republican leadership to allow any member of Congress to propose ideas to reduce spending – and to guarantee that amendments that cut spending will get a full vote in the House of Representatives.
- 12/21/10 The House of Representatives approved legislation today that contained a modified version of Representatives Peters' bill to support small businesses throughout Michigan.
- 12/21/10 The U.S. Treasury Department will begin implementing a plan authored by Representative Gary Peters to help small businesses grow and create jobs.
- 12/17/10 Congressman Gary Peters today voted in support of a major tax cut deal forged by the President and Congressional leaders that provides tax cuts for middle class families, extends the unemployment lifeline to displaced workers and gives a much needed boost to the economy.
- 12/16/10 Congressman Gary Peters today applauded the announcement by U.S. Secretary of Energy, Steven Chu that $184 million would be going into research and development of the next generation of advanced vehicles.
- 12/15/10 Congressman Gary Peters voted today to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) saying that the policy harmed military readiness by discriminating against patriotic Americans who are willing to serve their country simply on the grounds of their sexual orientation.
- 12/09/10 Legislation originally authored by Representative Gary Peters to outlaw videos depicting animal torture unanimously passed the Senate on November 19, and is expected to be signed into law this afternoon at 1:30 pm.
- 12/07/10 Representative Gary Peters today issued the following statement regarding the compromise tax-cut deal being forged by President Obama and Congressional Republicans.
- 12/02/10 Congressman Gary Peters voted today in support of making tax cuts for middle class families permanent while also sending a letter to Speaker Pelosi calling for a one-year extension of tax breaks for upper income earners, saying the move is necessary in order to ensure certainty in difficult economic times.
- 11/22/10 Representative Gary Peters called on the House of Representatives to act on legislation to add the bighead carp species of Asian carp to the list of injurious species that are prohibited from entering the United States or being shipped between states.
- 11/19/10 Legislation originally authored by Representative Gary Peters to outlaw videos depicting animal torture passed the Senate today and is expected to be signed into law soon.
- 11/17/10 Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement regarding tomorrow's IPO for General Motors
- 10/20/10 Representative Gary Peters was recognized by the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America Action Fund today for his perfect record on supporting veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- 10/15/10 Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement regarding the decision by the United States Trade Representative to initiate an investigation into Chinese government policies affecting trade and investment in green technology.
- 10/15/10 Representative Gary Peters called on Congress to fix a broken Social Security policy that has prevented an automatic increase in seniors' Social Security checks.
- 10/12/10 Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement in reaction to today's decision by a U.S. District Court to halt all enforcement of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding the ability of gay men and women to serve openly in the US military.
- 10/08/10 Representative Gary Peters urged the U.S. Treasury Department to act on state applications quickly after the department announced it was moving forward with the State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI), a provision authored by Peters in the recently enacted Small Business Jobs Act.
- 10/07/10 Representative Gary Peters welcomed news today that GM will add another model to the production lineup at the Orion Assembly plant.
- 09/29/10 Representative Peters joined a bipartisan majority of the House of Representatives today in support of new legislation to address currency manipulation.
- 09/28/10 Representative Gary Peters met with local small business leaders at Jay Enn Corporation in Troy today to discuss ways to foster growth and job creation and discuss the Small Business Lending Fund Act which became law on Monday.
- 09/23/10 The U.S. House of Representatives approved Representative Gary Peters' plan to help small businesses grow and create jobs.
- 09/17/10 Congressman Gary Peters attended the grand opening of the new AxleTech International world headquarters in Troy, Michigan today.
- 09/16/10 The United States Senate approved Representative Gary Peters' plan to help small businesses grow and create jobs. Peters was a driving force behind pushing the legislation to passage in the House of Representatives earlier this year, but the bill stalled in the Senate due to partisan wrangling.
- 09/09/10 Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement after news reports indicated that the United States Senate has enough votes to advance small business lending legislation.
- 09/08/10 After reviewing economic proposals released by the White House this week, Representative Gary Peters announced opposition to the President's plan for $50 billion in new transportation spending but called for action on proposed tax cuts to spur business investment, research, and development.
- 09/01/10 Representative Gary Peters and U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke met with Michigan small business owners at ALTe in Auburn Hills this morning to talk about job creation and discuss services offered by the Commerce Department.
- 09/01/10 Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement today in reaction to the murder of four Israelis by the terrorist organization Hamas
- 08/11/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today joined with local retirees to hold a birthday party for Social Security as the program turns 75 this week.
- 08/10/10 Representative Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, has assembled a bipartisan group of Members of Congress in urging Japan to make good on the promise it made in January to allow U.S. automobiles to participate in its version of a "Cash for Clunkers" program.
- 07/30/10 Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, two General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today following President Obama's visit to the Detroit-area to highlight recent success in the auto industry and the jobs it has created
- 07/30/10 Congressman Gary Peters will host town hall meetings in Oakland County next week as the House of Representatives begins its annual August district work period.
- 07/27/10 The Spending Cut and Deficit Reduction Working Group, founded by Representative Gary Peters, today achieved action on the first of its proposed federal spending cuts in the U.S. House, just one week after the group's formation was officially announced.
- 07/21/10 The U.S. House of Representatives today passed legislation coauthored by Representative Gary Peters to outlaw videos depicting animal torture.
- 07/21/10 The largest overhaul of the nation's financial rules since the Great Depression became law today as President Barack Obama signed Wall Street reform legislation Congress began working on last year.
PETERS FOUNDS NEW CONGRESSIONAL WORKING GROUP; UNVEILS LEGISLATION TO CUT SPENDING AND REDUCE DEFICIT07/20/10U.S. Representative Gary Peters and three other Members of Congress today announced the formation of a new congressional "Spending Cuts and Deficit Reduction Working Group" and unveiled legislation to cut billions of dollars in wasteful spending from the federal budget.
- 07/18/10 Local animal lovers and their pets today joined U.S. Representative Gary Peters, Humane Society of the United States officials and directors of local animal shelters in Pontiac to fight to once again ban animal torture videos.
- 07/15/10 The largest overhaul of the nation's financial rules since the Great Depression is about to become law following today's Senate passage of historic Wall Street reform legislation. The bill now heads to President Obama who has said he will sign it into law.
- 07/01/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters tonight voted against the fiscal year 2011 budget crafted by his party's leadership. Peters was one of only 19 Democrats to vote for a discretionary spending freeze last year and had since publicly voiced his opposition to increasing overall government spending.
- 06/30/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today joined Rep. Dave Camp and Senator Debbie Stabenow in introducing the Permanent Prevention of Asian Carp Act. Last week, commercial fisherman captured the first Asian Carp fish above the electrical barrier in Lake Calumet, just six miles downstream from Lake Michigan.
- 06/30/10 The U.S. House of Representatives this evening passed historic Wall Street reform legislation. The reform would crack down on Wall Street greed and the reckless investment practices that led to a global financial crisis, caused a $17 trillion loss in retirement savings and net worth and caused the economic downturn from which the nation has yet to fully recover.
- 06/29/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters has assembled a bipartisan coalition of well over 300 Members of Congress to stand up for Israel's right to self defense.
- 06/25/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters and other members of the House-Senate conference committee completed work on historic Wall Street reform legislation early this morning.
- 06/24/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement following tonight's House passage of legislation he cosponsored to impose sanctions on Iran to persuade the Iranian leadership to cease its quest for nuclear weapons
- 06/23/10 U.S. Reps. Elton Gallegly and Gary Peters' legislation to outlaw videos depicting animal torture will be considered by the House Judiciary Committee today. The bill, the Prevention of Interstate Commerce in Animal Crush Videos Act of 2010, will restore the federal ban on videos depicting animal torture, including so-called "crush videos."
- 06/17/10 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved Representative Gary Peters' plan to help small businesses grow and create jobs.
- 06/16/10 The U.S. House of Representatives is scheduled to vote today on legislation to support small businesses championed by Representative Gary Peters.
- 06/15/10 The U.S. House of Representatives is scheduled to begin debate today and vote tomorrow on legislation to help small businesses championed by Representative Gary Peters.
- 06/10/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters has been selected to serve as one of the Members of the House to serve on the conference committee charged with finalizing Wall Street reform legislation.
- 06/09/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement today subsequent to the United Nations Security Council's vote to impose sanctions on Iran in response to the nation's continued expansion of its nuclear program.
- 06/02/10 Southeast Michigan small business owners met on Main Street in Rochester today to fight to convince Washington to do more to promote small business growth in our area and across the country.
- 06/01/10 Congressman Peters issued the following statement today in reaction to the international response to the incident near Israel's coast yesterday
- 05/28/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters helped lead the fight as the U.S. House of Representatives passed a repeal of the Armed Forces' "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy today. Peters, a former Lieutenant Commander of the U.S. Navy Reserve, was among a coalition of veterans who took to the House floor to urge repeal of the discriminatory policy.
- 05/28/10 The House of Representatives approved legislation today introduced by Representatives Peters and Ehlers to support small businesses throughout Michigan. Peters and Ehlers' bill (H.R. 4393) passed as part of the America COMPETES Act, a larger bill incorporating a variety of ideas to promote U.S. manufacturing, support new hi-tech R&D and improve science and math education. Peters and Ehlers' measure will help Michigan small businesses continue to participate in the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP), a highly efficient program proven to help small businesses find new markets and create jobs.
- 05/28/10 U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and U.S. Representative Gary Peters (D-MI) today announced that the House of Representatives passed a provision they coauthored to cut business taxes to promote capital investment and job creation. The measure was passed as part of the American Jobs and Closing Tax Loopholes Act.
- 05/26/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters will testify today before the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security as he fights to once again outlaw videos depicting animal torture.
- 05/21/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today announced that he is fighting to once again outlaw videos depicting animal torture.
- 05/20/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters, who serves on the House Financial Services Committee and helped shape Wall Street Reform legislation which passed the House in December, issued the following statement today after the Senate reached the sixty vote threshold necessary to move the bill toward a final majority vote and likely passage.
- 05/19/10 Representative Gary Peters' proposals to create small business jobs are advancing rapidly in the U.S. House. The House Financial Services Committee, of which Rep. Peters is a member, today approved legislation to promote small business lending using an approach U.S. Representative Gary Peters originally called for last year. The committee also approved an amendment Peters introduced to strengthen state-based small business lending programs.
- 05/14/10 U.S. Representatives Gary Peters, Sander Levin and John Dingell have introduced legislation to help promote small business lending and create jobs. The legislation, the State Small Business Credit Initiative Act (H.R. 5302), will promote state-based partnerships with financial institutions to help small businesses and especially smaller manufacturers access the credit they need to innovate and grow. The three representatives originally introduced similar legislation in February and have been working with the Administration on how best to address specific issues that have kept too many businesses from accessing credit.
- 05/07/10 The Obama Administration today announced it is sending draft legislation to Congress to help promote small business lending using an approach U.S. Representative Gary Peters originally called for last year.
- 05/05/10 Congressman Gary Peters today launched an initiative to help small business owners tell Washington what action should be taken to help them grow and create new jobs.
- 04/29/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters today was presented with a major business association award for his tireless efforts to support their members' ability to develop new innovate hi-tech products and create jobs in Michigan and across the country. Peters was given the Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association's (MEMA) Joseph M. Magliochetti Industry Champion Award at a special luncheon this afternoon.
- 04/28/10 The House Committee on Science and Technology this evening approved legislation introduced by Representatives Gary Peters and Vern Ehlers to support small businesses throughout Michigan.
- 04/28/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters, who serves on the House Financial Services Committee and helped shape Wall Street Reform legislation which passed the House in December, issued the following statement today after reports that Wall Street reform legislation would finally be allowed to come to the Senate floor on Thursday
- 04/27/10 Congressman Gary Peters today applauded a U.S. House vote to kill a pay raise for Members of Congress.
- 04/27/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters issued the following statement today regarding the announcement that Ford Motor Company earned turned a profit $2.08 billion during the first quarter of the year
- 04/26/10 U.S. Representative Gary Peters and local residents gathered on Main Street in Royal Oak today to call for strong reforms on Wall Street as the Senate prepares to vote on whether to proceed with debate on Wall Street reform legislation.
- 04/21/10 The House Financial Services Committee's Subcommittee on Capital Markets today heard testimony relating to legislation authored by U.S. Representative Gary Peters to curb excessive Wall Street risk and executive pay schemes that encourage such risk. Rep. Peters' Shareholder Empowerment Act (H.R. 2861) would give investors–a company's true owners–greater ability to ensure that executives act in investors' long-term interest rather than making irresponsible bets for their own short-term gain, the sort of reckless investing that led to the recent financial crisis.
- 04/21/10 Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today following the announcements that GM will repay the entirety of the remaining $5.8 billion in loans it received from the U.S. and Canadian governments ahead of schedule and that Chrysler ended the first quarter of 2010 with a positive operating profit of $143 million.
- 04/20/10 Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today following reports that GM will repay the entirety of the balance on loans it received from the U.S. and Canadian governments ahead of schedule.
- 04/19/10 News reports on SEC investigations today illustrate what the Wall Street Journal calls "an open secret on Wall Street": investment banks created products it knew would fail just to give hedge funds an opportunity to bet against them. The fact that these products were being created solely as a way for hedge funds to bet against the housing market was never disclosed to those who invested in them. Banks profited by taking fees for moving these investments, and then got bailed out by taxpayers when the investments went bad. Pension funds, mutual funds, local governments and other investors on Main Street lost heavily.
- 04/14/10 As Americans across the country pay their taxes and discuss tax policy this week, Citizens for Tax Justice (CTJ), a public policy organization specializing in federal tax issues, released a new report showing the tax burden has been reduced for 99% of working Michigan taxpayers in a wide range of income brackets this year. The report shows that working Michigan families saw their taxes cut by an average of $1,086 in 2009. The report specifically highlights tax cuts in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Roughly a third of that Act (a.k.a. the "stimulus bill") was comprised of individual and business tax cuts.
- 04/12/10 Local small business owners met with U.S. Deputy Secretary of Commerce Dennis Hightower, Representative Gary Peters and state officials today in Farmington Hills to discuss the future of a critical small business support program. The local small business owners, as well as representatives from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and Detroit Regional Chamber also discussed the current business climate, difficulty accessing credit due to a lack of lending in Michigan, initiatives that are working to improve Michigan's economy and ideas for further job creation strategies.
- 04/09/10 Representative Gary Peters issued a statement today after Representative Bart Stupak announced his retirement from Congress
- 03/30/10 Student Aid Reform Will Reduce the Deficit, Reduce Government Payments to Big Banks, Increase Pell Grants for Over 180,000 Michigan Students, Allow 820,000 More Students to Grants Nationwide
- 03/29/10 "I agree that Israel's recent announcement was ill timed, but Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has said the same and apologized for that. It is now time to move on. Israel is our most trusted ally, Jerusalem is its capital, and the Administration's continued focus on this incident and its excessive criticisms of Israel over this incident is an unnecessary distraction from more pressing and important issues in the region such as the potential of a nuclear Iran.
- 03/22/10 The U.S. House of Representatives last night passed a resolution sponsored by Congressman Gary Peters to declare March 26 national "Support Our Troops Day" (H. Res. 1119). Local high school students developed the idea for Support Our Troops Day and advocated for introduction and passage of the resolution to create it
- 03/19/10 Following the release of final health care legislation yesterday afternoon, Congressman Peters released the following statement today regarding his decision to vote in favor of the health care reform bill scheduled for a House vote on Sunday:
- 03/18/10 As the one year anniversary of House passage approaches Friday, Congressman Gary Peters, along with other Members of the U.S. House, today called on the Senate to pass legislation Mr. Peters co-authored a year ago to reclaim egregious bonuses paid to executives of AIG and other bailed out financial institutions.
- 03/17/10 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved legislation introduced by Congressman Gary Peters to help reduce the federal budget deficit. The Sensible Steps Towards a Balanced Budget Act, introduced with Representative Ann Kirkpatrick of Arizona, would require all unused funds from each congressional office account be given back to taxpayers to help reduce the budget deficit. The bill was approved 413-1.
- 03/16/10 Representative Gary Peters has introduced new legislation to continue his efforts to reduce the national debt. The Sensible Steps Towards a Balanced Budget Act, introduced with Representative Ann Kirkpatrick of Arizona, would require all unused funds from each congressional office account be given back to taxpayers to help reduce the budget deficit.
- 03/16/10 Congressman Gary Peters today introduced the American Job Creation and Investment Act, a bill he authored to provide business tax relief estimated to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs.
- 03/10/10 Congressman Peters Calls for Savings to be used to Reduce Deficit
- 03/10/10 Sylvia Granader of Beverly Hills in Washington Today for Presentation of Congressional Gold Medal, Highest Honor Congress can Bestow
- 03/09/10 At the Green Truck Summit this morning, U.S. Representative Gary Peters (MI) received the first-ever Green Truck Leadership Award for his outstanding contributions in promoting advanced alternative fuels technologies for work trucks. Congressman Peters recently authored the Advanced Vehicle Technology Act, legislation to support research, development and ultimately production of advanced automotive technologies. The bill will create jobs throughout the country, especially in Southeast Michigan, as well as help reduce America's dependence on foreign oil.
- 03/04/10 Congressman Peters Voted Against Democratic Bill in December; Supported Today's Jobs Bill for its Small Business Support, Tax Credit to Hire Unemployed Individuals
- 03/03/10 Washington, D.C. – Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement today on House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Charles Rangel: "It's time for Chairman Rangel to step down. Charlie Rangel's past service to our country, including as a decorated soldier in the Korean War, is commendable. However, the House Ethics Committee has found that Mr. Rangel has broken the stringent ethics rules Democrats enacted upon returning to the majority in 2007. It's time for him to resign his chairmanship so that he does not become a distraction from efforts to solve the major challenges facing the country."
- 03/02/10 Extended Unemployment Benefits Expired Sunday; Sen. Bunning Continues to Single-handedly Stop Bill to Allow Benefits to Continue
- 02/26/10 Annual Rating Released Today Says Peters Is One of Most Centrist in Congress
- 02/24/10 Rep. Peters Votes to Repeal Health Care Industry's Exemption from Anti-Trust Laws to Boost Competition and Choices, Lower Rates
- 02/23/10 Forty-Six Members of Congress Now Urging Japan to Keep its Promise and Allow More U.S. Cars to Participate in its "Cash for Clunkers" Program
- 02/23/10 Congressmen Sander Levin, John Dingell, and Gary Peters introduced legislation yesterday evening to help manufacturing firms access the financing they need to expand, diversify, and hire new workers. Levin, Dingell, and Peters were joined in introducing the legislation by Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank, whose committee will have jurisdiction over the legislation. Additional original co-sponsors include Reps. Kanjorski, Dennis Moore, Fudge, Kildee, Pascrell, Lipinski, Doyle, Etheridge, Butterfield, Tim Ryan and Schwartz.
- 02/23/10 Congressmen Sander Levin, John Dingell, and Gary Peters introduced legislation yesterday evening to help manufacturing firms access the financing they need to expand, diversify, and hire new workers.
- 02/23/10 Meryl Davis and Charlie White Win Silver in Ice Dancing Free Skate
REP. GARY PETERS CONGRATULATES LOCAL PLAYERS ON U.S. MEN'S HOCKEY TEAM VICTORY OVER CANADA, SECURING #1 SEED02/22/10Oakland County Hometown Heroes Brian Rafalski and Ryan Kesler Lead U.S.A. to Sunday's Win With a Combined Three of Five U.S. Goals
- 02/22/10 CARD Act Protects Consumers and Small Business from Unfair Rate Hikes and Other Abuse
- 02/19/10 Local Business Owners, Workers from GM Orion Assembly Plant to Discuss What Bridge Repair and Reopening Means for Them
- 02/18/10 Peters Left for War Zone Sunday; Met with Troops, General McChrystal, U.S. Ambassador, Senior Afghan Officials
- 02/12/10 Following Congressman Vern Ehlers announcement that he will retire at the close of the 111th Congress, Congressman Gary Peters, who serves with Rep. Ehlers on the House Science and Technology Committee and has jointly introduced legislation (H.R.4393) to help small manufacturers with Rep. Ehlers, issued the following statement:
- 02/09/10 The Iranian government said today that it has accelerated its nuclear program, commencing with higher grade uranium enrichment. With this action, Iran moves closer to possessing the raw material needed to build a nuclear weapon. Following Iran's announcement, Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement:
- 02/04/10 House Approves Debt Increase, Sending Measure to President
- 02/03/10 Japan Said U.S. Cars Would be Allowed to Participate in its Cash for Clunkers Program but Have Rigged Rules to Keep Most U.S. Models Out
- 02/02/10 President Outlines Details of Plan Today in New Hampshire
- 02/01/10 Treasurer Andy Meisner, Credit Union Youth Services, U.S. Department of Education, Oakland County University Officials to Help Provide Students Solid Financial Skills
- 01/29/10 Troy/Birmingham Transit Center Now Set to Break Ground This Year; Congressman Peters and City and State Officials to Announce Today
- 01/27/10 Peters Heartened to Hear President Discuss Small Business Lending Initiatives, Middle Class Tax Cuts, Deficit Reduction
- 01/25/10 Troy/Birmingham Transit Center to Receive $250,000 in Addition to $1.3 Million Federal Investment Awarded Last Month
- 01/25/10 Previewing State of the Union Address, President Calls for Expanding Child Care Tax Credit, Just as Peters' H.R. 1500 Would
- 01/20/10 Legislation Speeds Tax Deduction; Ensures that Americans Who Donate via Cell Phone Text Message Can also Claim Deduction
- 01/13/10 President Obama is expected to announce tomorrow a plan to assess a fee on the nation's largest banks to pay back taxpayers for any losses incurred from the Troubled Asset Relief Program (also known as the Wall Street Bailout). The president's announcement follows last month's U.S. House passage of an amendment authored by Congressman Gary Peters that called for similar action to ensure that American taxpayers will not lose one cent from government loans to large banks and other TARP recipient institutions.
- 01/11/10 Senator Debbie Stabenow and Congressman Gary Peters will host a panel symposium this week at the North American International Auto Show on efforts to expand government support for advanced technology vehicle research and development. The two Members of Congress and expert panelists will discuss efforts to strengthen support for advanced technology vehicle innovation and research and development in the United States.
- 12/22/09 After Voting against Democratic Stimulus Bill Last Week, Peters Advocates Alternative to Provide $50 Billion in Small Business Loans
- 12/21/09 States like Michigan, Michigan Businesses Struggle to Afford Matching Requirement to Maintain Federal Manufacturing Support
- 12/17/09 Congressman Gary Peters today voted "No" on a measure which would unconditionally raise America's debt limit. Rep. Peters also opposed a spending bill created by House leadership that was introduced this morning and rushed to the House floor for a vote tonight, arguing that the bill does not contain enough support for small businesses and that the House should have more time to carefully consider the legislation. Congressman Peters also voted against adjourning the House until mid-January, instead preferring to keep the chamber working to create a well thought out, effective job creation package with significant steps to make credit available to small businesses. On all three votes, Congressman Peters was among a small number in his party voting "No."
HOUSE APPROVES WALL STREET REFORM BILL, INCLUDING PETERS' AMENDMENT TO ENSURE ALL BANK BAILOUT MONEY REPAID12/11/09The U.S. House of Representatives today approved an amendment authored by Congressman Gary Peters to ensure that American taxpayers will not lose one cent from government loans to large banks and other TARP recipient institutions. Congressman Peters' amendment to comprehensive Wall Street reform legislation (which the House passed after adding Peters' amendment) would require any shortfall in the taxpayer funded Wall Street bailout to be fully repaid by assessments on large financial institutions which pose systemic risk to the economy, the entities responsible for creating the global financial crisis.
- 12/10/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved $1.3 million for the construction of the Troy/Birmingham Multi-modal Transit Center. The final omnibus federal budget bill providing funds for the government to run in 2010 (including national transportation investments) includes the funding for the Transit Center. Congressman Gary Peters fought throughout the year to secure $1.3 million for the Transit Center.
- 12/10/09 Congressman Gary Peters has introduced a legislative measure to ensure that American taxpayers will not lose one cent from loans to TARP recipient institutions. Congressman Peters' amendment to the comprehensive Wall Street reform bill the House is expected to vote on later today or Friday will require any shortfall in the taxpayer funded Wall Street bailout to be fully repaid by assessments on large financial institutions which pose systemic risk to the economy, the entities responsible for creating the global financial crisis.
- 12/09/09 Congressman Gary Peters announced today that Congress will soon vote on $1.3 million for the Troy/Birmingham Multi-modal Transit Center. The conference report of this year's Transportation, Housing and Urban Development appropriations bill, the final version of the bill providing funds for the 2010 U.S. transportation budget, includes the funding and will be considered in the House as early as this week with a Senate vote to follow.
Senator Stabenow, Congressman Peters Announce Legislation to Support the Development of Advanced Technology Vehicles in America12/07/09U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) and U.S. Congressman Gary Peters (D-MI) today announced the Senate introduction of the Advanced Vehicle Technology Act of 2009. The legislation provides critical funding to ensure manufacturers and suppliers in the United States lead the way in developing the next generation of advanced vehicles.
- 12/03/09 Congressman Gary Peters today introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives to provide support for Iraqi refugees and religious minorities displaced and persecuted in the aftermath of the Iraq war and subsequent ethnic and sectarian violence. Rep. Peters' resolution (H. Res 944) seeks an investigation into human rights violations, and calls for an end to the abuse of Iraqi religious minorities.
- 12/02/09 Congressman Gary Peters today announced that Automation Alley Executive Director Ken Rogers will attend the White House Jobs Summit tomorrow in Washington, D.C. After the Obama Administration announced the event several weeks ago, Congressman Peters requested that the White House invite Rogers to its job summit so that he can discuss the unique economic challenges facing Oakland County and Michigan and discuss policy proposals to help innovative companies grow.
- 11/23/09 Congressman Gary Peters today announced Members of Congress will soon travel to Michigan to examine how a lack of small business lending is hampering the nation's economic recovery. The House Financial Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations will hold a field hearing at 11 a.m. Monday, November 30 at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield.
- 11/19/09 Congressman Gary Peters today again defended Chrysler and its workers against Senator John McCain's latest assertion that Chrysler will soon fail, this time with the help of objective industry experts. In a letter sent yesterday to Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler Group LLC Headquarters in Metro Detroit, Senator John McCain clung to the prediction he made earlier in the week that Chrysler is going to fail.
- 11/17/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler Group LLC World Headquarters in Southeast Michigan, today challenged Senator John McCain's prediction that Chrysler will soon fail and that preventing the collapse of American auto companies was a mistake. As reported in the Detroit News this week, while serving as grand marshal of a NASCAR race in Arizona, Senator McCain said "anybody believes that Chrysler is going to survive, I'd like to meet them."
- 11/07/09 "After thoroughly studying the bill and talking with thousands of Oakland County residents and medical professionals, it is clear we must act to lower health care costs for families, seniors and businesses. This plan's reform is market-based; expanding choice, competition and stability; makes our system more efficient and does not add to the deficit. AARP supports this bill because Medicare would be strengthened, closing the prescription drug donut hole and providing new preventative care at no cost for seniors."
- 10/29/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved a measure sponsored by Congressman Gary Peters to support small businesses in high unemployment states. Peters' legislation would expand zero interest loans for existing small businesses in high unemployment states and expand access to grants and a business investment tax credit designed for low-income areas to high unemployment areas as well.
- 10/27/09 Congressman Gary Peters today applauded President Obama's announcement that DTE Energy of Detroit would receive $84 million in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Smart Grid funding. The funding would be used to for DTE's SmartCurrents program, which includes measures to reduce energy use and lower consumer's energy costs.
- 10/22/09 Congressman Gary Peters, Member of the House Financial Services Committee and author of the Shareholder Empowerment Act of 2009, issued the following statement today following announcements by the Obama Administration on measures to reign in executive pay at U.S. banks and major TARP recipients and eliminate compensation packages that encourage reckless risk taking in the U.S. banking industry.
- 10/22/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved the Solar Technology Roadmap Act (H.R. 3585), a bill designed to create a comprehensive national solar technology plan and authorize substantial funding for solar research and development and material production, including an amendment sponsored by Congressman Gary Peters to help bring solar technology projects to Michigan.
ON HEELS OF PRESIDENT'S ANNOUNCEMENT, REP. GARY PETERS ANNOUNCES FIELD HEARING IN MICHIGAN ON SMALL BUSINESS LENDING10/21/09Congressman Gary Peters today announced plans to soon hold a House Financial Services subcommittee field hearing in Michigan on small businesses' struggle to secure loans and small financial institutions lack of access to capital during the current economic downturn.
- 10/21/09 Congressman Gary Peters today urged House leadership to extend the first-time homebuyer tax credit, a measure enacted in February that saves new homebuyers thousands of dollars and has helped the U.S. housing market rebound in recent months.
- 10/07/09 Congressman Gary Peters is pushing to bring new solar energy manufacturing jobs to Michigan and other states hit hardest by the current recession. Congressman Peters today successfully amended the Solar Technology Roadmap Act, a bill designed to provide comprehensive planning to and authorize funding for solar research and development. Rep. Peters' amendment would require the Department of Energy to give stronger consideration to projects utilizing solar technologies manufactured in the United States, and to give preference to high unemployment states like Michigan.
- 09/25/09 Congressman Gary Peters released the statement below following remarks by President Obama, French President Nicholas Sarkozy and British Prime Minister Gordon Brown revealing that Iran has been operating a covert nuclear facility for several years and had deceptively hidden the facility from international weapons inspectors.
- 09/24/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved legislation to protect seniors and people with disabilities from substantial, unfair increases in their 2010 Medicare premiums.
- 09/22/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved legislation that will prevent over 62,000 jobless Michigan residents (and over one million nationwide) from finding themselves in a dire financial predicament as they continue to search for work. H.R. 3548, the Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009, would provide a 13-week extension of unemployment insurance benefits for eligible unemployed residents in high unemployment states like Michigan.
- 09/22/09 Congressman Gary Peters released the following statement today regarding Energy Secretary Steven Chu's announcement of a $528.7 million Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing loan for Fisker Automotive for the development of plug-in hybrid vehicles, including funding for product development at its Pontiac, Michigan office. The project will create or save at least 5,000 U.S. jobs, possibly more.
- 09/16/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved legislation introduced by Congressman Gary Peters to spur the production of new advanced technology vehicles in the United States. Peters' bill, the Advanced Vehicle Technology Act of 2009 (H.R. 3246), was approved by a wide bipartisan majority of 312-114.
- 08/06/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, three GM plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, released the following statement today following Senate approval of an additional $2 billion to continue the highly successful Car Allowance Rebate System (a.k.a. "Cash for Clunkers")
- 08/05/09 Congressman Gary Peters, author of the Advanced Vehicle Technology Act of 2009 (H.R. 3246) and whose district is home to companies receiving some of the $2.4 billion in advanced auto technology grants announced today, issued the following statement following today's event with Vice President Joe Biden in Detroit:
HOUSE APPROVES BILL TO PROTECT TAXPAYERS, SHAREHOLDERS BY CURBING IRRESPONSIBLE EXECUTIVE COMPENSATION07/31/09The U.S. House of Representatives today approved legislation to protect American taxpayers and shareholders from the excessive and risky compensation practices at large financial firms that contributed to the recent collapse of financial markets.
- 07/31/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, three GM plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, released the following statement today following House approval of an additional $2 billion to continue the highly successful Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS, a.k.a. "Cash for Clunkers")
- 07/29/09 The House Committee on Science and Technology today unanimously approved legislation introduced by Congressman Gary Peters to spur the production of new advanced technology vehicles in the United States.
- 07/28/09 Oakland County public safety departments will have more police officers on their streets in the coming years due to nearly $2 million in economic recovery fund grants awarded today.
- 07/22/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today passed legislation to establish mandatory "pay-as-you-go" (a.k.a. "PAYGO") budget discipline to rein in deficit spending and reduce the national debt. H.R. 2920, the Statutory Pay as You Go Act of 2009, would require new measures enacted during each two-year session of Congress that would increase the deficit to be neutralized with other measures that would offset those costs during the same session of Congress. Congressman Gary Peters cosponsored the PAYGO bill.
- 07/21/09 A congressional subcommittee today approved legislation introduced by Congressman Gary Peters to spur the production of new advanced technology vehicles in the United States.
- 07/17/09 Congressman Gary Peters will host a community listening session Saturday, July 25 from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. at Birmingham Community House located at 380 South Bates in Birmingham, in the Adams room.
- 07/17/09 Congressman Gary Peters today introduced legislation to spur the production of new advanced technology vehicles in the United States, substantially increasing federal support for fuel efficient vehicle development.
- 07/10/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to three General Motors plants, Chrysler World Headquarters and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today after GM officials announced that the company had successfully emerged from bankruptcy.
- 07/09/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to three General Motors plants, Chrysler World Headquarters and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement after today's noon deadline for opposing parties to stop GM's emergence from bankruptcy expired.
- 07/06/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to three General Motors plants, Chrysler World Headquarters and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today after Judge Robert E. Gerber of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York ruled that GM should be allowed to sell its valuable assets in order for a revamped General Motors to emerge from bankruptcy.
- 07/02/09 President Obama signed legislation yesterday to award the Congressional Gold Medal to a unit of female pilots who served during World War II. S. 614, which passed the House June 16 after having previously passed the Senate, grants the medal to the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) who flew missions within the U.S. during the war.
- 07/01/09 Congressman Gary Peters, the Michigan Association of Realtors and a local family who recently closed on their first home today gathered at the family's new house to discuss the tax credit available–for a few more months–that can save first time homebuyers thousands of dollars on the purchase of a new home.
REP. PETERS STATEMENT ON GM CHOOSING TO MAKE NEW VEHICLES IN MICHIGAN'S NINTH CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT06/26/09Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement regarding reports that GM has selected Orion Assembly plant, located in his congressional district, to build its new compact and subcompact vehicles.
- 06/26/09 Congressman Peters, Other Supporters Deliver Letters to GM on behalf of Tens of Thousands Urging GM to Build New Vehicles in MI
- 06/12/09 Oakland County's $260 Million Highest in Michigan
- 06/12/09 Congressman Peters Carrying Bill to Codify Measures Announced by President Obama This Week to Curb Executive Pay; Bill Also Expands Shareholders' Rights
- 06/10/09 The U.S. House today approved an amendment sponsored by Congressman Gary Peters to require the Obama Administration to assess the economic impact of new passport requirements for U.S. citizens traveling to and from Canada and Mexico.
- 06/09/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, three GM plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear objections to Chrysler's proposed alliance with Fiat S.p.A.
- 06/09/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved H.R. 2751, the Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save (CARS) Act to stimulate the U.S. economy by a wide bipartisan majority of 298-119.
- 06/08/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, three GM plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today regarding the State of Indiana pension funds' attempt to stop Chrysler from achieving a swift emergence from bankruptcy.
- 06/01/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, three GM plants and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement after Judge Arthur Gonzalez ruled that Chrysler could move forward with a proposed alliance with Fiat S.p.A
- 06/01/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan congressional district is home to three GM plants scheduled to cease production, Chrysler World Headquarters and more auto suppliers than any district in the country, issued the following statement today following GM's bankruptcy filing and reports of planned plant closures.
- 05/21/09 Rep. Peters Co-sponsored Bill and Sponsored Key Amendment
- 05/20/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today gave final approval to the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights, legislation to protect consumers from hidden fees, arbitrary rate changes and other egregious practices. The bill now heads to the president's desk.
MICHIGAN CONGRESSIONAL DELEGATION TELLS ENERGY DEPARTMENT THE STATE IS UNIQUELY QUALIFIED TO PRODUCE ADVANCED BATTERIES05/19/09Bipartisan Letter Asks Secretary Chu to Consider Michigan Applications in Light of $700 Million in State Tax Credits and Michigan's "unparalleled expertise and experience"
- 05/19/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan Congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, several General Motors plants and more auto suppliers than any other district in the country, issued the following statement today after the president's announcement of new fuel efficiency standards for automobiles sold in the U.S.
CONGRESSMAN PETERS MEETS WITH LOCAL RESIDENTS TO HIGHLIGHT NEED FOR CREDIT CARD HOLDERS' BILL OF RIGHTS05/11/09House Passed Bill April 30 with Peters-Sponsored Amendment; Senate Expected to Consider Bill This Week
- 05/09/09 Quilt has been Signed by Every President and First Lady for Decades. Waterford Man Worked with Congressman Peters to Get Signatures
- 05/04/09 The U.S. House of Representatives today approved H. Res 283, a resolution authored by Congressman Gary Peters honoring the life and achievements of Rabbi Charles H. Rosenzveig. The House passed the resolution by a voice vote.
- 04/30/09 "A solution outside of bankruptcy would have been preferred, but unfortunately a small group of investment firms stood in the way of that outcome. However, I am hopeful that the sacrifices made by Chrysler's responsible stakeholders and the financial support President Obama has committed will allow Chrysler to emerge quickly as a viable and globally competitive automaker...."
- 04/28/09 "I am very pleased that principle banks have reached a deal with Chrysler to restructure the company's debt so it can achieve viability. A month ago when I first wrote to the CEOs of Chrysler's major debt holders they were not even at the table, so this is a very positive development...."
- 04/27/09 "I am extremely concerned with the affect this plan will have here in Michigan. Our state has been hit hard enough already and we cannot afford to be disproportionately impacted by GM job losses.
- 04/26/09 "Chrysler workers have done their part to preserve a future for their company. Now the fate of Chrysler and hundreds of thousands of American families rests in the hands of Chrysler's debt holders...
- 04/24/09 "With this new offer Chrysler's debt holders are still asking for much more than market value for their holdings, which amounts to a taxpayer subsidy. Today's offer was still far from reasonable..."
- 04/23/09 Washington, D.C. – The U.S. House of Representatives today approved H.R. 1139, the COPS Improvements Act, to restore the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) program. The bill will provide Michigan hiring grants estimated to put 1,429 community police officers on Michigan streets...
- 04/21/09 Congressman Gary Peters, whose Michigan Congressional district is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, released the following statement in response to reports of a counteroffer from Chrysler's debt holders:
- 04/16/09 Community Residents Invited for Informal Discussion with Rep. Peters
- 04/15/09 Congressman Peters to Highlight Economic Diversification, Discuss Work on House Science and Tech Committee; Start-ups to Give Presentations
CONGRESSMAN PETERS VOLUNTEERING AT LOCAL FOOD BANK TODAY TO HIGHLIGHT NEED FOR AID, DISCUSS RECOVERY PLAN FOOD BANK FUNDING04/13/09Local Food Banks Hit with Increased Demand; Michigan Receiving $3.9 Million in Recovery Plan Funding for Food Services
- 04/09/09 Community Residents Invited for Informal Discussion with Rep. Peters
- 04/09/09 Government to invest funds from American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to buy new fuel efficient vehicles from the Big Three
- 04/01/09 Rep. Peters Urges Chrysler's Debt Holders, Major Recipients of Taxpayer Support, to Quickly Reach Deal on Debt Forgiveness
- 03/30/09 Washington, D.C. – Congressman Gary Peters, whose District is home to Chrysler World Headquarters, released the following statement today following President Obama's remarks on the future of Chrysler and General Motors:
- 03/27/09 Michigan Health Centers to get over $8.5 Million in Total Funding
- 03/26/09 Oakland County to Receive $4.9 Million, Oakland Cities to Receive Millions More
- 03/19/09 Peters' Original Bill Expanded Beyond AIG to Create Surtax on Bonuses Paid by Other Companies Receiving Taxpayer Support
- 03/16/09 Legislation Would Create Surtax on Company's Bonuses
- 03/12/09 Congressman Peters' First Bill, the "Helping Families Afford to Work Act," Would Provide Tax Credit Worth Up to $6,000 to Offset Rising Cost of Child Care
- 03/11/09 Rep. Peters Urges Budget Committee to Double Advance Technology Vehicle Program, Fund Grant Program, Increase MEP
- 02/25/09 The House of Representatives today is expected vote to halt a pay raise for Members of Congress until at least 2011. Congressman Gary Peters, who co-sponsored legislation to stop congressional pay raises in January, reiterated his support for stopping congressional pay raises today.
- 02/24/09 Following President Obama's signing of an economic recovery plan, business and labor groups across the nation, as well as a bipartisan majority of America's governors and a wide majority of the American people are voicing strong support for the plan...
- 02/17/09 Congressman Gary Peters released the following statement today following General Motors and Chrysler's submission of viability plans to the U.S. Treasury Department:
- 02/17/09 Today President Barack Obama signed H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Following the President's signing of the economic recovery plan, Congressman Gary Peters released the following statement:
- 02/11/09 Congressman Gary Peters today applauded Congressional leadership's decision to act to halt a pay raise for Members of Congress. Rep. Peters publicly called for a congressional pay freeze last month and co-sponsored H.R. 156, the Stop the Congressional Pay Raise Act of 2009, to prevent Members of Congress from receiving a pay increase until at least 2011.
- 02/11/09 Congressman Gary Peters is leading an effort to save funding for the creation of manufacturing jobs in the economic recovery plan moving toward completion in Congress. The House-passed version of H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, included $30 million in additional funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership, but the funding was eliminated in the package approved by the Senate yesterday.
- 02/09/09 Congressman Gary Peters will host a series of listening sessions in Oakland County this week. The events will provide an opportunity for area residents to participate in an informal discussion on job creation in Oakland County and other issues residents would like to discuss. The events are free and open to the public.
- 02/06/09 The U.S. Department of Labor reported today that the country lost 598,000 jobs in January, the largest one month drop since 1974. The national unemployment rate jumped to 7.6%. The number of unemployed Americans rose to 11.6 million, the most since December 1982. The U.S. has lost 3.6 million jobs since the current recession began, 1.1 million of these in the manufacturing sector. Nearly 1.8 million jobs have been lost in the last three months alone.
- 02/04/09 The U.S. House of Representatives passed legislation today to renew and expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) by a vote of 290-135. President Barack Obama plans to sign the bill later today.
- 01/27/09 Congressman Gary Peters today signed onto legislation to freeze the salaries of Members of Congress. Peters is cosponsoring H.R. 156, the Stop the Congressional Pay Raise Act of 2009, to prevent Members of Congress from receiving a pay raise until 2011. Peters' action comes less than a week after President Obama signed an executive order to freeze the pay of senior White House staff.
- 01/23/09 As economic recovery legislation moves through Congress, new details have been released that show just what such a package could mean for Michigan. Experts project that if enacted, the bill moving through the U.S. House would provide billions of dollars for local schools and Michigan highways, tax relief for millions of Michigan families, billions in grants and loans to help automakers and 158,000 more jobs in the state.
- 01/22/09 Local school districts stand to receive millions of dollars for school modernization projects and existing learning programs under the economic recovery package being discussed in Congress. The Congressional Research Service has released estimates of the allocations each Michigan school district would receive under the first draft of the "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009" if the bill is enacted (please find a list of estimated dollar amounts for each Michigan school district below).
- 01/20/09 Congressman Gary Peters released the following statement today following the inauguration of President Barack Obama:
- 01/19/09 Congressman Gary Peters issued the following statement today:
- 01/15/09 The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote today on a measure that could bring much needed relief to homeowners facing foreclosure. The bill would require that if Congress releases the remaining $350 billion of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP, also known as the $700 billion Wall St. bailout), the Treasury Department must allocate $40 to $100 billion of those funds to help homeowners stay in their homes.
- 01/09/09 Congressman Gary Peters today delivered his first floor statement as a United States Representative, speaking in support of legislation to promote equal pay for women. H.R. 12, the Paycheck Fairness Act, strengthens the Equal Pay Act President Kennedy signed into law in 1963, closes loopholes allowing employers to avoid anti-discrimination laws and strengthens penalties for discriminatory employers. The Act passed the House today by a vote of 256-163.
- 01/09/09 The U.S. Department of Labor reported today that the country lost 524,000 jobs in December and the national unemployment rate jumped to 7.2%. More than 11 million Americans are now unemployed, the most in nearly 25 years. In total, the country lost about 2.6 million jobs in 2008, the most since 1945.
- 01/05/09 Amid intense competition, the House Democratic Steering Committee has nominated Congressman Gary Peters to serve on the powerful Financial Services Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives. The full Democratic Caucus is expected to approve the assignment soon. The Financial Services Committee has jurisdiction over all components of the nation's housing and financial services sectors including banking, insurance, real estate, public and assisted housing, and securities.